Most of Naxos’s tower houses were built by the Venetians around 1600, for protection from pirates and for establishing their authority on the local population.
Some 30 such tower houses are saved today, mostly located in the island’s most fertile areas.
They are multi-storey structures and none features white-washed external walls.
They were all in the color of the stone and earth of the surrounding area so as not to be easily visible from afar.
Ramparts, bastions, murder holes and large and strong gate doors were regular features which added to the defensive capability and imposing character of the towers.