The chapel of Panagia (Virgin Mary) in Kato Koufonissi, built in 1561, was originally barely above ground level, to avoid problems with the Ottoman authorities and minimize its visibility from afar for the fear of pirates. The area around it was expanded only in 1970, and in 1990 a patio, toilets and a bell stand were built. A big feast is held at the port of Kato Koufonissi after mass on the religious holiday of Panagia, August 15.
The chapel is located very near an older Byzantine church.
|Directions for access
|Access is only possible from the sea
|Accessibility for wheelchairs
|Inaccessible for wheelchairs