The Sarantara mine on Naxos, named after 40 workers who were also its shareholders (Saranta is number 40 in Greek), is being converted into an Emery Museum, as part of a project to develop disused mines for tourism purposes.
On show today are a truck scale in operation, a rather rickety building with a hand-operated windlass inside, a pneumatic drill and a cogwheel that had been bought by at great sacrifice by the cooperative and a traditional cheese dairy built in 1940.
|Info||The museum is still unfinished but one can arrange a visit to the venue and the mine gallery by calling 6944607672 in advance.|
|Directions for access||Sarantara is about halfway on the road between Koronos and Lionas.|
|Parking||There is ample parking space.|