The village of Glinado on Naxos is a farming village, one the three that share the fertile Livadi valley –the largest of the island in its southwest and after which they are collectively named as Livadochoria.
The valley extends from the coast to the hills and Glinado, established around 1650 , spreads out at an elevation of about 100m, features some attractive old, island-style houses and offers panoramic views and beautiful sunsets to watch.
A particular feature of the rich flora of the valley is the reeds that divide properties, offer protection from the wind and provide shade in the summer.
The oldest sight in the Glinado area, about 500m before you reach the village, is the single-aisled, arched-roofed Church of Agii Saranta, which belonged to the Xiropotamos monastery of Mount Athos. The lintel of the building which once hosted monks bears the date 1638.
The village of Glinado, with some 500 permanent residents, has two hotels, rooms to let, tavernas and is a good shopping hub.
The attractive church of Agios Nikodemos at the entrance to the village, built in 1990, celebrates on July 13 and 14, and the traditional feast at the square includes good food and live traditional music.
|Directions for access
|Glinado is on the main road that connects Chora with the other two Livadochoria, Agersani and Tripodes, and with the rest of the southwestern part of Naxos.