Argokili is a small settlement in northeastern Naxos, with superb sea views but best known for the monastery of Panagia Argokiliotissa.
Located at an elevation of 550m on the eastern slope of Mt. Amomaxis, it has a few farmsteads and very few permanent inhabitants.
A very old icon of Panagia (Virgin Mary) was found in the area in 1836 and a church was built in its honor in 1851.
Later came the addition of the monastery, which has a new, larger church and 30 rooms for accommodating pilgrims and visitors.
|Directions for access
|Access is via 3km of asphalt road starting shortly after the crossroads where one turns for Lionas, the seaside settlement.